Sunday 15 June 2014

Separation :-(

I fall in love with him when I'm with him and I fall deeper in love with him when I'm without him.......

That's the life of a seafarer's wife! Destiny has some great plans for you when it decides that you fall in love with a shippie. Love, attention, time, concern, care.....you are showered with all of it in abundance.
And then you get so used to it that when your sailor sets sail, your heart cries for him to be with you.

I am God's chosen one, to be fortunate enough to have a seafarer as my beloved, spouse and friend. I think he has a certain design plan when he picks and chooses a woman to get married to a sailor. Often I wonder what goes on in his grey cells....some kind of sinister plan or some kind of a disguised blessing.....whatever it is, I thoroughly enjoy being the cynosure of my sailor :-)

The first stint with my sailor was when we met somewhat reluctantly at my house. I wouldn't call it love at first sight. We both weren't like really wanting to get married at that point of time. The meeting was kind of imposed onto us but we took it confidently in our stride. "What's the harm in meeting?", we thought. Looked like a perfectly friendly get together with parents of neither side pressurizing us for anything. So there we were, in front of each other, little nervous, little contemplative but not in the least disinterested. The meeting was smooth, quite interesting I would say! The most remarkable feature of this guy (apart from his drop dead gorgeous looks) was his honesty......Honesty to die for. He put his stance in such a straight forward manner that I was almost speechless! What an aura of confidence....what perfectionism! Deceit and lies completely eluded this man.....So there I was, all of 19, completely taken off guard! I had never expected that day to change my life forever. Just a few hours ago, this person who meant nothing to me, was soon to become the
most important person in my life.

And now here I stand.....his spouse...his better half.... for over a decade.

This account of mine, might sound like "Oh! So fairy tale kinds".....but behold! Let me clarify, that life is not a bed of roses for a sailor's wife. There are times when you are in the worst phase of life and just want a shoulder to lean on, that's when you are deprived of the most basic thing....and that is a simple touch.....a touch of reassurance that everything will be just alright.
But I guess we shippie wives are made of a sterner metal. We don't get cowed down by pressures. There might be moments when we get jittery but we soon get a hold of ourselves and charge at the problem with a vengeance.

Life of a  shippie himself is extremely tough. It's not all that hunky dory as it seems. All that people can think of is the travelling around the world and the bunch of holidays they get. What they forget is that the sailor pays dearly for those few moments he gets to spend with his family. He misses so many life changing moments...the most important ones being the birth of his own child, seeing his child crawl/ walk for the first time or his child's first words. He sacrifices all these precious moments.  His life at sea is restricted to the ship and the few men that are around him. Sometimes he doesn't set foot ashore for months together and has to even face the roughest of weather.

This small insight into the life of as shippie couple is the result of my sailor joining his vessel soon. So all the pent up emotions find way through my writing. I miss him terribly when he is not around but I don't want to be his weakness.....I want to be his strength, an assurance that I'll take care of everything and all his loved ones when he is not around. Even though he may not be physically present but his heart beats inside my body.....his words resonate in my mind and his smile plays on my lips. He is there everywhere....I love my sailor and am proud that I'm the chosen one to be his better half or maybe the worse ;-)

Time to say goodbye to him for a few months.......a big broad smile on my face and the twinkle of his love in my eye...That is this face he should remember while on board......Beaming and brimming with happiness and love.

Ciao my sailor.....Bon Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment