Saturday 25 March 2023

My little birdie has taken a flight!


 

18 years ago when I picked up our tiny bundle of joy in my arms, I knew I had to enjoy every minute of being with him.

We knew that childhood flies away and what will be left after a few years would just be memories of that time; so with a clear intent of holding him close to us, we went on with life, having our fair share of bittersweet experiences along the way. 

 


 

 

Today as I observe Ahoi Ashtami vrat for him for the 20th time (1st when I was carrying him inside) , I’m overwhelmed as that time has gone by a tad bit too fast it seems.

Our little birdie has flown away and my nest feels empty. It was a conscious decision to send him away for college education as we didn’t want to clip his wings and debilitate his flight but believe me, every day is a struggle; on his part and on ours. However we are not going to let the clouds of sadness engulf us.

A bird looks beautiful when it soars into the sky, a foal looks lovely when it stands on its four legs, a bud looks lovely when it has blossomed into a flower and a child looks fabulous when she/he grows up to be a responsible adult!

 

Son, you’ve been sent away not because we love you any less but because we want you to explore life. There’s a beautiful yet savage world out there. You need to learn to navigate your way through, falling and emerging stronger after each setback.

We miss the times when we could have you all to ourselves but that would be very selfish of us. Have to share your loveliness with the world now you see!

 

I’ll always fondly remember the time when you insisted on making me drink water with your own tiny hands when I looked at the ‘Tara’ in the night sky and prayed for your well being. You followed this ritual unfailingly from the age of 2.5 years to now. It was your way of competing with dad as how could you be any less than him. If he could make mommy drink water on Karwachauth, how could you not assert your right on Ahoi! It was adorable.

 


 

This year though you’re miles away.

Every morning when I wake up my first thought is of you even though dad is further away. Yeah yeah you can gloat!

 

This morning too even though I had forgotten it was Ahoi, my first impulse on waking up was to check on you and hearing from you which always completes my day. Today, as I add another set of beads to my Ahoi Mala and flaunt it proudly when I wear it in the evening, I’ll look at the taara 🌟 and think of my taara 💫, the apple of my eye, the love of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment